If you do not have a LinkedIn profile photo, it will look as if your account will not belong to a real person.
You have only 33 milliseconds to make an excellent first impression, says a Social Psychological and Personality Science study. You won’t be making any impression without a LinkedIn profile photo! It’s critical for your credibility. A photo inclusion enables more profile views, increased conversations, and more direct messages.
Without a photo, your profile is incomplete. You won’t be have LinkedIn All-Star status, and the platform’s algorithm will not work as hard as possible for you! People won’t find you. You basically won’t exist.
Once you get past the fear of posting your image, your brand will improve, by 9, 21, or 36 times! A LinkedIn profile photo opens doors to a bigger network. Check out these statistics!
3 LinkedIn Photo Facts to Put a Smile on Your Face
- Profiles with photos receive 21x more profile views. So, your value and reputation have a greater chance to prove themselves. (Source: LinkedIn)
- Profiles with profile photos receive 9x more connection requests. People like to connect with a smiling face. (Source: LinkedIn)
- Profiles with profile photos receive up to 36x more messages than those without. So, your face can indeed launch a thousand conversations (eventually)! Source: LinkedIn
Forget about if it’s the perfect photo! It just has to be a good one. Your brand will not show up in any of the annual one billion or so LinkedIn searches. You will receive an eternal Tinder-like left swipe!
Once you get past the fear of posting your image, your brand will improve, by 9, 21, or 36 times! A LinkedIn profile photo opens doors to a bigger network.Gerry Moran
This research paints a picture. You need to have a LinkedIn profile picture to connect with others! Without a photo, you are not part of the billion annual LinkedIn searches.
If you have an atrocious photo, you will win a place on my Profile Photo Wall of Shame, but that is easy enough to fix. Those who have seen my personal branding workshops know the only thing that honor generates is good-natured laughs!
Here are fifteen tips to improve your brand and stay off my Wall of Shame!
15 LinkedIn Profile Photo Tips to Make a Good First Impression
- Take a photo that looks like you.
- Take your photo from straight ahead.
- Use good lighting.
- Have someone else take your photo.
- Keep your background simple.
- Be the only one in your photo.
- Include your face only.
- Smile and keep your eyes open.
- Your face should take up 60% of the space, cutting off right at your shoulders.
- If you are using a cropped photo, be certain no one else’s hand/hair are in photo.
- Use a high-res image.
- Size your photo. LinkedIn profile photo size should be 400 pixels x 400 pixels.
- Stay away from Instagram-like filters.
- Wear clothes fitting your profession.
- Look friendly and approachable.
Do you have another LinkedIn photo tip? Or, do you have an exciting photo-taking story to tell? If so, then please leave a comment below or contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I hope you take this snappy advice. It ensures your network stops to check you out and learns the value you have to add to their network!