Everyone needs an annual social media audit.
We all need to go to the social media doctor to get a check-up once a year. This self-management helps us understand where we are strong and where we need to make a little improvement in our social media and content lives so we can be the best that we can be.
Much like checking up on our personal health, it makes sense to check up on our social media health … especially since the world of social media is changing so much! What worked 12 months ago certainly has changed. And, if we keep on doing the same things and expect different results, like more sales, then that definition is insanity!
What is a Social Media Audit?
A social media audit is an evaluation process of an individual’s or company’s social media channels — profiles, branding, voice, health, and performance against goals. It also reviews the content that is delivered on these social channels for impression, engagement, and web referral performance.
A audit assesses the company’s or individual’s current state and compares it to best practices or an objective. Every audit should include a set of next steps to close the gaps between the assessment.
Brands and individuals should conduct a social media audit annually.
Research Shows That A Social Media Audit Can Help To Address Weaknesses
A recent NY Times blog article states 10 reasons why small businesses fail to grow, attributing marketing, technology, complacency, and leadership among the missing components and reasons why. A social media audit helps address these failure points.
Also, INTUIT’s recent research showing 74% of business owners doing the social media work themselves and likely getting it wrong. It is likely that many, including you, are not getting the most out of your social media marketing — which means lost opportunities, lost customers, and lost sales. A social media audit helps to identify if you are inefficiently executing your social media.
Today’s social marketing ever-changing landscape can be overwhelming for a company like yours, whether you are just starting or looking to grow. Most companies fall into the Facebook + Twitter + blog execution without proper research, objectives, strategy, and activation plan to support the goals. Where do you start to change? How do you start to improve?
6 Questions To Ask to Determine if Need to Audit Your Social Media
At this stage, you probably have more questions than answers, such as:
- Where do I start with my social media marketing?
- What is my competition doing?
- What’s the best way to connect with my customers on social media?
- How do I measure success?
- What social media channels make sense for me to use
- How do I engage with my customers?
What’s Included In A Social Media Audit?
The social media audit is an essential step to help your business be more successful with social media. 4 key areas that should be addressed in an audit that considers your internal and external social media activity against your company goals are:
- Performance. Identify your current social media and content activity and performance
- Governance. Assess your social media and content against your social media policy
- Competition. Review your competitor’s social media activity and rank your activity against this set
- Gaps. Articulate gaps and opportunities
- Recommendations. Provide you a recommendation to close the gap of where you are and where you should be
3 Ideas to Help You Close Your Social Media Gaps
- 17 Reasons Why You Need a Social Media Policy for Employees
- Paradise by the Social Media Dashboard Lights
- 10 Social Media Tips to Get More Twitter Clicks
Do you have any twists on how you do your audits? If so, please share below. Or, reach out to me at email@example.com.
A social media audit is a great place to start to get your business on the right track of reaching the right audience, with the right message at the right time on the right channel.