As I get my Gangnam Style moves down for some late-night lounge club dancing at the upcoming Las Vegas event, I cannot help to have some social media content creation ideas arise.
Hmmm. How do I connect content creation , evangelizing, sharing and crowdsourcing for a live event with this now-famous horse dance?!? Yes, everything I think about IS about social media marketing analogies. And, how can I show you how to create some awesome social media content while at the event?
This blog post shows you how to create great on-the-floor content that gets consumed and shared across all audiences at any live event… like the Gangnam Style video! Psy, the artist behind the sensation was able to create content that was able to connect with multiple audiences and so can you!
Let’s see how Gangnam Style can inspire your content creation. I have applied this inspiration to five content-creation strategies while attending any live event or trade show.
1. Take Interesting Video. All live events offer a treasure trove of potential video! Embrace these opportunites!
- Interview. Hold an interesting interview with someone (make sure to get the proper form to allow posting though.) Be creative with your approach to help the sharing on blogs, YouTube and Facebook! A few interesting ways into your interview could be “What have you seen at this event that you plan to use in next year?” “What is the most interesting thing you have learned at this event?”
- Demos. Capture a demo or a snippet of a presentation for social media sharing. Your content may be the first time that this demo has taken place, or it is connected to a trending topic. Whatever the tie-in, pass on the demo to the world!
- Sessions. Don’t take an entire video of a keynote (or any other presentation) … just take some exciting shots of one can pass it on! Tease the world with what they are missing. And while you are at it, make sure you have an interesting title to your video post.
2. Take Interesting Photos. A picture is worth a thousand words, so get your Gangnam on and pass it on to the social media world!
- Signage. Take a creative shots of the show logo and pass it on to the key social media contacts for the even. For instance, I recommend taking a picture of the event signage and email it to one of the social media contacts. It’s content like this that we love at SAP and love to see it posted it on our Facebook pages!
- Floor Pictures. Take a picture of the most interesting thing on the show room floor and pass it on to the event’s social media channel managers! Event organizers love to post these types of pictures to show all the non-attendees what they are missing! They might even bestow some special acknowledgment for your creativity
3. Capture Quotes
- Sound Bites. Everyone loves a sound bite! It’s one of the best takeaways of any session. Write them down and hashtag they key words of your sessions. No need to tweet your quotes in real-time … hang on to them and schedule them for between 6-8PM, the time when most retweets happen!
4. Tweet! Put on your reporter shoes and tell the people back home what they are missing! But, if you are going do it Gangnam Style … make sure has some legs for retweeting, since the socialsphere is really only interested in relevant ‘stuff’. What should you tweet about? Here are three ideas:
- Inquire! Ask a session presenter or social media ambassador a follow-up question and look for an answer directed specifically at you! As a example, I created a blog post for s show that I will be attending for SAP that noted all the key social media attendees. Check this blog post for Twitter Handles –> How To Leverage Social Media Ambassadors & Experts At SAP TechEd Las Vegas
- Be Ready. If you are going to tweet like PSY make sure you have your key hashtags and key words identified. In addition to every tweet containing #TheShowHashtag make sure to include 1-2 others that have nothing to do with SAP and everything to do with the outside world (e.g., #Analaytics #Mobility)
- Share! Be a part of someone else’s Gangnam moment and share their content … along with your message!
5. Blog! We are not all bloggers, yet we can all give it a shot! If you feel passionate about a point, then sit down and write 200 words about it on your blog or the event’s site. Follow this guidance to get the Gangnam word out!
- Event Site. Get signed up today and have your profile in order so you can actually contribute with a blog!
- Make It Visual. The blog posts that are shared the most (and found the most) have a great mix of pictures, videos and quotes. Include all the aforementioned content you collected to get your blog on everyone’s hit parade! Leverage your collection with a smart blog post!
- Make It Memorable! Hey, who expected a blog post that tied Gangnam Style in with a live event! Make your point about one takeaway and have some fun with it! If I can do it, so can you! To be sure people find your post, take advantage of using key words and placing the proper tags in the copy!
So, lets’ take a hint from Psy’s Oppa Gangnam Style craze and think about how we can individually spread the word of of the event that we are attending so others who cannot attend can reap the benefit of relevant, humanizing and authentic content! Let’s do our own Gangnam Style dance an upload it somewhere.
Gerry MoranFollow @GerryMoran