I am fresh off of a trip from IKEA where we purchased a selection of put-it-together-yourself furniture! Many of my friends and other shoppers avoid IKEA for the simple reason of not knowing how to put their product line together! Full disclosure, I ran IKEA’s direct, loyalty, catalog and email marketing for the US for a few years. However, it’s not as if we all received furniture assembly on-boarding training. I embraced the simple instructions that are included with each piece of furniture to the point wehre I can now put togheter many peices of furniture with my eyes shut!
So, how does this relate to blogging? Well, I just received a tweet from an SAP colleague who noted that he had a hard time making time to blog! I maintain that blogging is easy if you have a simple way in … a play, if you will. I have 3 of them that make it very easy to blog. I’d like to share these with you to make it easy for you to show the world the expert that you are and what is on your mind!
First, the average reader consumes content is short bursts, so we want to aim for a 2-minute read, which is typically 500 words or so. So, my blueprint for your blogging process is a 5-step, 500-word blog.
5 Easy Steps To Start Blogging
- Set Story up in first 100 words. You want to start to tell your story in the first 100 words. Set up your story within a story. I typically do not jump right into the “business”. Rather, I find my angle and then set up the “lesson”
- Explain your idea in next 100 words. Take the time to articulate your ONE IDEA in this section. You want to explain why this blog is about.
- Blog relevance in next 100 words. Explain why this idea that you articulated is relevant to the reader. This is the WIIFM moment!
- Offer your advice in 3 or 5 bullets in penultimate 100 words. Bullets are the best way to clearly community your advice, key take-aways, etc.
- Recap blog in last 100 words. Take these last 100 words to recap your idea, the benefits of your advice and include the call to action!
If you have a question about how to start to blog for your business, please leave a comment on this MarketingThink blog post, contact me from this blog comment tab or reach out to me on Twitter at @GerryMoran
Other related blog posts that you might find interesting are:
- SEO & Content Marketing: Pick The Best Words For Your Blog And Site
- How Can A Marketing Coach Help You?
- Instagram Marketing: Hop To It. Your Business Should Be Instragramming
So, blogging really is as easy assembling IKEA furniture if you follow the instructions. Once you get started, you will be able to get started and finish in no time!